Translate

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Road Trip to Cirencester and Big Arts Day


Its Big Arts Day today at Lydiard Park.... but it keeps raining...  the event is going ahead in true British fashion.... come rain or shine!!. Everyone has been advised to wear wellies and old jeans .. love it! They have had to cancel all car parking on site, but lots of extra buses have been laid on to get the public to the event. Wish I could go to the event today, but am going to watch youngest son play ice hockey this afternoon. 


 Dodged the rain yesterday and took a trip to New Brewery Arts in Cirencester. More of a bunny hop from here rather than a road trip.. but hey ho, made a good title. I wanted to see Sarah Beadsmoore after her wonderful talk to the Great Western Embroiderers On Tuesday. When I first arrived a note was on the door to her studio to say she was in a meeting..... so I wondered along to another studio. In fact it was the wonderful Christmas Cactus that was in her window that caught my attention, and as I was lost in thought thinking about my lovely plant that I lost last summer, a voice called out ... come on In!

I did and had a lovely chat with Kate Cotton, a knitter, who has just taken on the workshop along the corridor from Sarah. She heartily recommended I went into the "Pop up Gallery" which is a temporary gallery space attached to Brewery Arts, and look at the bird sculptures of Mike Lythgoe.. if you manage to get to Ciren before the 22nd July.. do go and look, they are wonderful and so graceful, and are thoughtfully integrated on driftwood bases which he sources from Dorset.
 Managed to get back top the car park before the heavens opened up again.... and endured a very wet and flooded journey home. We were quite grateful that we only live a "bunny hop" away. We were soon enjoying a cup of tea and chocolate cake in the comfort of home.

This weather does not bode well for Art in Action next weekend at Waterperry near Oxford. I had threatened to go this year, but a few years ago we all ( and the cars) got stuck in the mud when it rained this heavily. To go or not to go....... .. that is the question. (Hope the Bard forgives me for that!) The organisers are telling everyone to bring their wellies!!!

1 comment:

dorothypandorasbox said...

I'm glad you had a nice day out Maggie. I NEED those swans! Aren't they beautiful?
Don't get stuck in the mud at Waterperry will you? Have fun though.