Translate

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Sketchbook project

I signed up for this sketchbook project, have a look here.
So the real creative mess has started in the studio, stuff everywhere, and although I dyed the fabrics ready to finish my hanging of the previous post, my concentrations have been diverted to the sketchbook.

It was supposed to be a filler activity whilst the fabrics dried...... but you know how it is...... I became absorbed and am so enjoying myself. The freedom of being able to doodle without constraint is really wonderful.


As many other members have stated the sketchbook paper quality is very poor, as you can see when you apply a wash the paper buckles badly and if not totally dry, tears into shreds. Reminds me of the cheap recycled paper the suppliers tried to offload onto the schools a few years ago, when to be "green" became fashionable.

The colour from one page bleeds onto the reverse of the paper..... however I am not letting that stop me, I am carrying on regardless and letting serendipity play its role.
Leonardo must be rolling over in his grave !;0)

Such wanton abandon. I am loving it!

If I post this off to its destination.... .. you can all go and see the- wanton abandon- for yourselves.... except of course you will have to fly to the States to the Brooklyn Art Gallery to see it.

Shame really that once I send it I shall never be able to see it again. So I will have to take lots of photos as a reminder. Somehow though, the photos are not the same as having the book in your hand and seeing the marks made by your hand. What do you think?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I've read a lot of complaints about the quality of the paper in the sketchbooks since I first heard of this project. It seems rather a pity that they didn't pick something more resilient when they seem to want to encourage a mixed-media approach!

Liz said...

I'm rather enjoying the serendipity of this sketchbook too, Maggie - maybe we work in the same way! I've nearly filled it now (I did stick quite a few pages together) and am having a hard time parting with it too... It's as though the ripping of the first page freed me up to destroy the rest of it!!!! But I didn't...